We all have favorites.
Favorite movies, favorite books, favorite ice cream flavors… and there’s little in the world that’s more fun than finding a new favorite, or someone who shares one or more of your favorites.
I’ve encountered a few of the former recently, and thought I’d write a post in which I shared them with you. Some of these things are new, others are just new to me.
5. Kemp’s Peppermint Bon-Bon Ice Cream – I had never even heard of this before we moved to Wisconsin, but my daughter picked it out one day and we brought it home. Much to my surprise, my husband saw it and started exclaiming that this was his favorite ice cream as a kid (which surprised me because he REALLY doesn’t like mint + chocolate, like… at ALL!) But this is pretty amazing stuff, y’all. It’s a very different flavor profile than mint-chocolate chip. It’s hard to explain, but it’s delicious.
4. Sand and Storm by Stella Dorthwany – This book is every bit as lovely as the cover. A little bit Prince of Persia meets Harry Potter… with some unique things that are all its own. This was a book club read I missed but decided to read this past month and I’m so glad I did!
3. Just Add Magic – we are always looking for fun shows or movies to watch as a family, and we have really been enjoying this truly adorable show about three best friends who discover a magical cookbook and learn how to use magical ingredients as they cook and bake together… hilarity and chaos ensues, as you might expect. The story of friendship is beautiful, and the plot has had a lot more depth than I expected.
2. The Tales of Miraculous Ladybug and Cat Noir – another really fun kids’ show… this one is about two young people who gain superpowers and have to use their newfound abilities to protect Paris from the evil Hawk-Moth who uses his power to “evilize” various people throughout the city in an attempt to gain control of the “miraculouses” that give Ladybug and Cat Noir their powers. It is every bit as zany as it sounds… but somehow, it really works and is super fun!
1.5. Daughter of Sun, Bride of Ice by H.L. Burke – I had planned to do only “five” of these, but then I thought of six, and I couldn’t quite bring myself to cut one of them out. Okay, I probably could have left off the ice cream one. Ahem. Anyway, this one is both “new to me” AND brand new in general! I have been following this author for a while, and while I have loved the books of hers I’ve read in the past, her snippets and teasers about THIS book absolutely captivated me. I bought it as soon as it was available and have already read it TWICE! It is so, so, so beautiful. A tidally-locked planet. A feisty princess anxious to win the right to determine her own fate… but who must also learn to shoulder the weight that comes with the bargain she has made. A land covered in snow and ice. This book stole my heart… and I’m so excited to be diving into book two now that it’s out, as well! I plan to do a dual-review after I’ve finished that one, since they really do belong together almost more as a single book than a duology…
1. The Book Thief – I am ashamed to say that I have OWNED this movie for several years now. My dad bought it for me and I put it on my DVD shelf, and then promptly never found the opportunity to watch it. Earlier this month, I had some time to myself and I finally got around to viewing it and… I wish I hadn’t waited so long. The beauty of this movie is paralleled only by its sadness… and I’ll warn you, it IS sad. But since Death opens the movie as its narrator, you can kind of see it coming. That did not prevent my heart from breaking, though.
What about you, dear Reader? Are you familiar with any of my new favorites listed above? Have you come across any new favorites of your own lately? I’d love to hear about them!
And speaking of favorites… don’t forget that the Silmaril Award Ceremonies are currently happening throughout the blogosphere! Five Silmarils have already been handed out, and five more will be coming next week! You can find the list of blog posts here at OUR OFFICIAL SILMARIL AWARDS SITE!