Good morning, dear Reader! I hope your December is off to a lovely start. Well, I have been tagged! (Actually, I was tagged a while ago, but this is the first time I’ve had a minute to sit down and actually think about a “real” blog post…)
Tracey over at Adventure Awaits tagged me, and it’s a nice simple one, so here goes. The rules are as follows:
Tell us 7 random things about yourself. Nominate 15 bloggers to participate. (Yeah… that’s not going to happen)
But I can do the 7 random things. Let me think……. I’m trying to think of things I haven’t shared on here before.
1. I’m kind of an astronomy nut. I love stars and supernovas and black holes and just anything that has to do with outer space. I find astronomy fascinating, and have been known to read astronomy-specific science text books for fun.
2. I have a very warped sense of rhythm. This is probably why I never did manage to move on to the “next level” of piano, despite my mother’s excellent teaching and patience (well, that and possibly my reluctance to practice as much as I should), but even when I took lessons in college and had to practice every day in order to get a passing grade… I just couldn’t get the hang of it. This is also why I can only play one song on the guitar. I am also incapable of clapping along with songs in church… I cannot sing and clap at the same time. Stop laughing at me! I can manage to clap along sometimes, but only if I have a direct line of sight to the person leading the clapping… because I watch them and clap at the same time they are. If I take my eyes off them, I instantly revert to clapping at the wrong time. (I console myself by telling myself that I am the Clown Juggler from Tales of the Kingdom).
3. I used to have a red Schwinn bike, and I would purposefully loosen the handlebars so that I could pivot them to point at the sky – at which point I would pretend that I was flying on my Spirit Flyer.
4. I am terrified of heights. When I was little, I refused to go up to the top of the Watertower Place (a 7-story tall mall in Chicago) when I was on a field trip with all my cousins because the elevator was glass and I could not handle the thought of falling. I also needed to be carried to the top of Wrigley Field for a Cubs game when I was younger (not sure, somewhere in the range of 5-8 years old), because walking up the (VERY WIDE) ramp (that was adequately safely bordered by CHAIN LINK FENCES) was too terrifying to be borne. But, I am inconsistent in my fear… because I LOVE being up high, and spent much of my childhood climbing up to the very tops of every tree in our yard that I could get into. (And often getting stuck at the top… too scared to climb down). Now, I really enjoy going rock-climbing.
5. I am terrible at decorating. I think my problem is that I cannot pick nor stick to a “theme” when it comes to decorating. A couple of years ago, when we were first contemplating selling our house, we asked our realtor to come over and tell us what we should do to make the place more sellable. She told us what we should fix, and then moved on to staging (her degree was in interior design, I think). Anyway, she looked around and said, “Well, you might want to get some pictures to put up…” paused, then gestured at a wall I was actually quite proud of, because I had put up some small decorations and 4 nicely framed pictures and everything was nice and in the same general color-scheme, and said, very kindly, “But not… not small pictures. You’d want to get something big that would fill up the space well.” I had to laugh at myself then and there. I think most of my problem is that I get bored. I think to myself, “Hey, it would be cool if we decorated with a country style… and I put up some country-esque decorations and pictures, and then I go, “Eh… but I don’t want my ENTIRE house to be country!” and then I start putting up Lord of the Rings posters and then I move on to decorating with lamps shaped like the Eiffel Tower… and so it goes. I’m just going to let Leiana do my decorating. Her extremely prolific artwork generation skills are more than enough to cover the walls of my entire house… and her turnaround is super fast!
6. I really like wolves. (But am kind of freaked out by the knowledge that there are enormous timber wolves prowling around in the same state as me right now… I know they’re in a different part of the state… but it doesn’t sound like they’re really that far away).
7. I used to collect rocks. I would pick up any rock I thought was pretty or neat or unique and take it home and put it in a box in my room. Even though I haven’t done that in over 15… maybe 20? years, that box of rocks is still in my closet. They aren’t valuable. They aren’t even all that unique. But they have traveled from Illinois to Indiana to North Carolina to Wisconsin with me, and I just can’t bring myself to return them to the wild. They wouldn’t know what to do without the shelter of their box… how would they survive now that they’ve been tamed?
And now for tagging. I tag…
and anyone else who thinks this looks like fun!
What about you, dear Reader? What’s one random thing about yourself you wouldn’t mind sharing?